March 4, 2009

Day 4: Workout Planning

My goal today was to find an At-Home workout or two that are a good starting point and that I will be able to be successful with. Eventually I plan to seek more challenging routines but for now I just need a starting point.

So these are the three At-Home workouts that I found without any difficulty. Each of the three can easily be printed out if you prefer to have a paper copy on hand. There's not ranking applied. They are numbered simply in order that I found them.

#1 www.womenshealthmag.com/search/node/home+workout
This is from Women's Health Magazine. If you look at the "No Props No Prob" workout - this is the one I'm discussing. I just thought I'd share the search link as it provides more than one workout option.
Equipment Required: None (a nice bonus).
There are 6 exercises that you will do 2 or 3 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions, resting for 30-60 seconds between sets. They recommend doing this routine 2-3 nonconsecutive days per week.

#2 www.exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/bltotalworkout.htm
This one is from About.com.
Equipment Required: a bench or free-standing step, dumbells, barbell & ball. I don't have a barbell but it's for squats so I'm sure I can use dumbells.
A 5 minute cardio warm-up preceeds the exercises.
There are 11 exercises.
Beginner: use no weights and do 1 set of 14-16 reps.
Intermediate/Advanced: 2-3 sets of 10-12 reps with enough weight so that you can only complete the desired # of reps.

#3 www.fitsugar.com/2825394
This one is from FitSugar.com.
Equipment Required: 5 or 8 pound dumbells.
This workout is called a "Full-Body Circuit Workout".
A 5-minute cardio warm-up preceeds the workout.
There are 3 "circuits" with 3 exercises each. Each exercise circuit is to be repeated twice and the reps vary from 10-20.

Now I just have to decide which one I want to try first! I think I'm leaning toward the no-equipment one at the moment. Might have to give it a try today and see how it goes!

Breakfast:
8oz Water
Multivitamin
1&1/4C Special K "Satisfaction" = 200 cal
1/4C milk = 33 cal (might have to switch to 1% as I usually drink a lot of milk)

Snack:
8oz Water
Strawberry slices (217g) = 69 cal

Lunch:
8oz Water
5/8 of a Tortillia Pizza (Kali & Gracie at the other 3/8) = 232 cal
Mixed Veggies (7oz) = 70 cal
8ox Water

I totally missed my snack somehow... (read fell asleep on the couch in the sun while Kali napped!)
8oz Water

Dinner:
Pork Chop (54g) = 97 cal
+Shake n Bake = 25 cal
Peas (100g) = 90 cal
Rice (45g) = 70 cal
Pasta (35g) = 112 cal
16oz Milk = 260 cal

32oz Water (out socializing!)
Snack Crackers (49g) = 232 cal

Total Water: 10 cups + 2 cups milk
Total Calories: 1490

Didn't try a workout today, my'bad! Tomorrow is my weekly fitness class. I'm probably going to do my "before" photos before leaving for class. Not sure if I'll be brave enough to share them yet though! (laughing)

No comments:

Post a Comment