Well, today was my "mind" day as well. I'm not going to share intimate details but suffice to say I have not been a happy person lately. It had been getting worse instead of better prior to my Decision Date of Feb 28/09. Since then I started feeling better but it seemed more like a conscious battle rather than just being happy.
Today I went to Primary Care via a referral from my GP. If you would like to learn more check out their site @ www.albertapci.ca (sorry - for some reason I can't manage to get the link option to work!)
Primary Care is included in your medical care as an Albertan and is a resource we should all be aware of. They address issues relating to depression, grief, postpartum depression, longterm illness, etc. They can deal directly with short term counselling and can offer many resources and recommendations if additional medical attention is required.
My 1 on 1 counselling session with Lynda was great. She was very supportive and positive. I'm pretty private about this sort of thing but I feel like being honest as I go through this personal overhaul. She commended me on my coping mechanisms and strategies for moving forward so it was good to know I am heading in the right direction. It is apparently possible that I'm dealing with left over postpartum depression! "Depression" has been tough for me to swallow but she helped me realize it really is a "chemical thing" and is truly beyond my control if, in fact, it is postpartum. We talked about a lot of things and it was nice to basically just get things out in the open and off my chest. It was reassuring at the end when she said she didn't feel I needed more sessions but that she'd be willing to see me again for a follow up if I wanted.
So - Progress Report.
Body - check! Work in progress but not for long!
Mind - sound! (laughing) Just in need of a little reformatting in a perspective sense.
Soul - hmmm... Honestly, I think this falls nicely into place as I heal my body and mind. I think I'm going to reread some of my spirituality genre books and see where I am in that respect.
All in all I'm feeling much happier and much more like my old self.
= )
Oh - I almost forgot to mention part of my "mind" health matters. My GP has sent in a referral to a neurologist due to my ongoing vision issues that I always ignored as left overs from my migraine days. I figured as long as I didn't get the actual migraine I was fine with it! I still get the flashy pinwheels and blank spots in my visual field (at its most extreme I've literally had a line across my vision in one eye where I can't see anything in the top half) and due to the regularity of these occurring he wants me to see a specialist. The original recommendation came from my eye Dr when I told her about the visual symptoms and she couldn't find anything wrong with my eyes.
Interesting! Will keep you updated eventually. Don't expect to get in to see a specialist until fall.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Way to go on the weight loss!!!!! That is great!!!
ReplyDeleteSorry your not feeling so well..mentally. I have been there..dealt with depression and anxiety since I was 20...still do. I am here if you ever need/want to talk:)
hugs
~J
(they are great at the health center but if you ever need a little something extra I have a wonderful lady that I saw...and she has some GREAT meditation excersises!!lol)